The fund was set –up by Zambezi River Authority in 1997 to finance the implementation of sustainable projects meant to alleviate the impact of the displacement of the Tonga/KoreKore people on both sides of the Zambezi River in Zambia and Zimbabwe (communities displaced during construction of the Kariba Dam).
- Raise funds for specific and sustainable projects meant to alleviate the impact of the displacement of people of the Zambezi river basin in Zambia and Zimbabwe who were removed during the construction of Kariba Dam; and
- Address issues pertaining to project financing, human resources training and project administration for the communities in both countries.
- To implement, administer and supervise the said specific and sustainable projects.
Projects being undertaken under the ZVDF in both Zambia & Zimbabwe include:
- Installation of Grinding Mills
- Sinking of Boreholes
- Construction of schools and houses for support staff in respective project sites
- Construction and rehabilitation of Irrigation Schemes
- Supply of medical equipment.