The scheme was constructed in 1959 by the Zambian Government as support towards the Tonga farmers who were displaced during the construction of Lake Kariba. At the time of its construction, the scheme size was between five and six hectares. Three quarters of the scheme was under agricultural demonstrations designed to teach farmers the irrigation techniques. The pilot stage initially started with 10 farmers and later expanded to 20.
The scheme utilized galvanized pipes to convey water from a coal mine dam. In 1965, a coal mining company, Lendor & Burton, accidentally damaged the galvanized pipes resulting in the scheme remaining dormant for two years. In 1973, the Gwembe South Development Project expanded the scheme to 10 hectares and constructed the now existing canals which accommodate 84 farmers within and six outside the scheme.
Download Brochure | PDF (725kb)